The chocolate caramel slice, in my opinion what every cafe should be based off. I do not think I have ever been to a cafe that has not had a chocolate caramel slice in its cabinet, and if I have obviously it is not worth remembering. Ok that’s a lie, I have been to many great cafes that have not had chocolate caramel slices but I think they should be in all. I love a chocolate caramel slice and I blame one of my best friends for that. She is a connoisseur.
Buttery, crunchy biscuit base. Smooth, sickly sweet caramel filling. Delicious chocolate top. What is there not to love about a chocolate caramel slice. I made a big tray of this last weekend to feed the flatmates and to take some to work and it definitely got the seal of approval.
In fact, this weekend I have to make another lot for one of my colleagues because she wants to take some to her family. She offered coffee so it’s not like I could say no. My other colleague asked if I could make it less sweet… you can’t. But she did have the idea of adding coconut so I might test that out sometime.
This slice takes no time at all to make and is super simple. Dig In.
Chocolate Caramel Slice
- 246g Plain Vanilla Biscuits (Super Wines)
- 60g Castor Sugar
- 110g Butter, Melted
- 30g Butter
- 2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 400g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 165g Dark Chocolate
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Preheat oven to 140°C. Line a 9×6″ tin with baking paper.
1) In a food processor, process biscuits until they resemble a fine sand. Add sugar and butter and pulse until combined.
2) Press evenly into tin. Bake at 140ºC for 10 minutes until golden.
3) Increase oven temperature to 175ºC.
1) In a saucepan, combine butter, Golden Syrup and condensed milk.
2) Over a medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly so it does not stick and brown.
3) Pour onto base and bake 20-25 minutes until the surface is caramelised.
4) Remove from oven and let cool completely
1) In a heatproof bowl over boiling water, combine chocolate and oil. Stir until melted. Spread over completely cooled filling. Let set and cut to desired size.